Philly cheesesteak casserole:
I started with ground beef (blasphemous, I know) because it’s simple, cheap, and I always have it in my fridge. You can totally use thinly sliced beef in place of ground if you prefer, but this is actually really good just the way it is! Give it a try and see!
Brown the meat along with some diced onions, peppers, and a little garlic.
You can add in mushrooms, if you like. I’m not a fan, personally.
I season my Philly cheese steaks with Lawry’s seasoned salt. It adds great flavor to the dish!
Assembling this casserole is easy. Add your beef mixture to a 9×9 baking dish and top it off with provolone cheese. You can use grated or you can just tear slices of cheese into smaller pieces. Don’t layer the cheese on in whole pieces, because we’re about to dump some eggs over the top.
Yep. I said we’re adding eggs to this casserole. They work to bind the casserole together, but I promise that this recipe doesn’t taste eggy at all.
You’ll whisk together 4 eggs, a little cream, and a dash of hot sauce.
Pour that mixture over the top of your casserole. The eggs will work themselves down into all of the cracks between the meat and cheese.
Pop this casserole into the oven and bake until the eggs are set.
I let this cool for about 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces and serving
Philly Cheese Steak Casserole Recipe
This Philly Cheese Steak Casserole has all of my favorite flavors from a traditional cheese steak, but it’s budget-friendly and perfect for those on a keto diet!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Cook Time: 45 Minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Servings: 6 | Calories: 366 kcal
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Dice the peppers and onions into bite-sized pieces. Mince the garlic. When beef is broken apart, but still pink, add the peppers, onion, garlic, and seasoned salt. Continue cooking, stirring often, until beef is cooked through and vegetables have softened a bit.
- Drain grease from the skillet and pour mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Tear the cheese into small pieces and place over the beef mixture.
- Add the eggs, cream, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the beef and place the dish in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Per serving: Calories: 366 | Fat: 23g | Protein: 33g | Total Carbs: 5g | Fiber: 1g | Net Carbs: 4